Datos personales

Mi foto
I am a secondary teacher of English in Southern Spain. I studied MFL in Jaén and I got a DPSI certificate in Law in England. I started my teaching career in Newcastle back in 2000, where I lived for 3 years. Once I returned home, I taught in a public school and got ready to sit the "oposiciones" exam, which I passed!!! Currently, I am teaching in Spain, which has become my definite residence in since 2004.

jueves, 27 de septiembre de 2012

"rollo" = roll*

Please note the different meanings of "rollo" in the following expressions: 1)"cortar el rollo a alguien" --> to mess up with somebody. Actually, "cortarrollos" means mood-killer or kill-joy/wet blanket, being applicable to romantic situations (as an intruder or protagonist). 2)"corta el rollo" is a fixed expression which means "shut it".The person using it simply doesn't want to hear more of your story because it is boring, already known or not interesting 3)"menudo rollo" / "qué rollo" --> "what a bore" can derive into the even more informal "rollazo" --> extremely boring!, aplicable to people, thing or activity. 4)"buen rollo" (good vibes or attitude) vs "mal rollo" --> bad attitude
"Desde que llegaron tus padres a la fiesta se nos cortó el rollo" (meaning 1) "¡Tú lo que eres es un cortarrrollos!" (meaning 1) "-Que no cuentes más rollos" "-Eso, eso corta el rollo" (meaning 2) "Te advierto que esa película es un rollo/rollazo. No la veas en el cine" (meaning 3) "Yo estoy aquí de buen rollo (positive vibes) y no entiendo por qué vienes tú ahora de mal rollo" (meaning 4) "Venga tío, sin malos rollos/de buen rollo" (no hard feelings) (meaning 4)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario