Datos personales

Mi foto
I am a secondary teacher of English in Southern Spain. I studied MFL in Jaén and I got a DPSI certificate in Law in England. I started my teaching career in Newcastle back in 2000, where I lived for 3 years. Once I returned home, I taught in a public school and got ready to sit the "oposiciones" exam, which I passed!!! Currently, I am teaching in Spain, which has become my definite residence in since 2004.

jueves, 9 de agosto de 2012

"Castaña" = Chestnut

Umbrella term used in many expressions: "Tener/llevar una castaña" = To be pissed "Ser una castaña" = To be old, useless, old-fashioned or of a very bad quality. "¡Toma castaña!" = So there!, Wow" "Sacarle las castañas del fuego a alguien" = To save somebody's bacon (BrE) /To get somebody out of trouble (AmE) "Pasarse de castaño oscuro" = To be out of line or to be beyond the joke "A toda castaña" = At full speed
"Miguel va fatal! Menuda castaña lleva" (drunk) "Esa película es una castaña. No vayais al cine a verla" (very bad) "¿Eso ha dicho? ¡Toma castaña! (surprise) "Estoy harta de sacarle las castañas del fuego. Ya es mayorcito para depender tanto de mí" (help somebody in trouble) "Eso no lo puedo tolerar. Se pasa de castaño oscuro" "Las motos pasaron a toda castaña"

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario